The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has introduced new Sustainability Disclosure Requirements (SDR) and investment labels. These new rules are designed to help investors make informed decisions about sustainable investments.
What are the new FCA SDR regulations?
The new FCA SDR regulations require all FCA-authorised firms that manage or market investment products to disclose certain information about the sustainability risks and opportunities of those products. This information must be disclosed in a way that is fair, clear, and not misleading.
The regulations also introduce four investment labels:
- Sustainable Focus: These investments are focused on achieving sustainable outcomes, such as reducing carbon emissions or promoting social inclusion.
- Sustainable Impact: These investments aim to have a positive impact on the environment or society.
- ESG-integrated: These investments consider ESG factors in their investment decisions.
- Basic Sustainable: These investments meet certain minimum ESG standards.
What do the new FCA SDR regulations mean for investors?
The new FCA SDR regulations mean that investors will have more information about the sustainability of their investments. This will help them to make informed decisions about whether to invest in sustainable products.
The new investment labels will also make it easier for investors to compare sustainable products. This will help them to find products that align with their values.
When do the new FCA SDR regulations come into effect?
The new FCA SDR regulations will come into effect in stages. The anti-greenwashing rule will come into effect on 31 May 2024. Firms can use the investment labels from 31 July 2024.
How can I prepare for the new FCA SDR regulations?
If you are an FCA-authorised firm that manages or markets investment products, you need to take steps to comply with the new FCA SDR regulations. This may include:
- Reviewing your investment products to identify any sustainability risks or opportunities.
- Developing a process for disclosing sustainability information to investors.
- Training your staff on the new regulations.
If you are an investor, you can prepare for the new FCA SDR regulations by:
- Learning about the new regulations and how they affect you.
- Asking your investment adviser about the sustainability of your investments.
- Comparing sustainable products using the new investment labels.
What are the benefits of the new FCA SDR regulations?
The new FCA SDR regulations are expected to have a number of benefits, including:
- Increasing transparency and accountability in the sustainable investment market.
- Helping investors to make informed decisions about sustainable investments.
- Promoting the development of sustainable investment products.
The new FCA SDR regulations are a significant step forward in the development of a sustainable investment market. The regulations will help to increase transparency and accountability, and they will make it easier for investors to make informed decisions about sustainable investments.